PaddingtonNow BID is urging hospitality and retail businesses in the area to take urgent action in support of the New West End Company led campaign to overturn the Governments decision to end Tax Free Shopping for EU Members at the end of 2020.
Britain would be the only country in Europe not to offer tax free shopping to international visitors, potentially undermining its global appeal and competitiveness.
In our efforts to ensure the future prosperity and appeal of Paddington as a gateway to London, one of the worlds top shopping destinations, we would encourage you take action.
Here is what you can do:
- Write directly to the Chancellor by 5pm Friday 18 September – use this letter template and either email firstname.lastname@example.org or send it to: Rt Hon Rishi Sunak MP, Chancellor of the Exchequer, 1 Horse Guards Road, London SW1A 2HQ
- Write to your local MP Nickie Aiken at email@example.com
- Social Media – Share the article in the Financial Times about the campaign and any further coverage your business’s Twitter, Linkedin or Instagram accounts and tag the Chancellor @RishiSunak @hmtreasury @KemiBadenoch,relevant local MPs and decision makers.
Key Points to be made:
- Your disappointment at the abolition of the tax-free shopping scheme
- The importance of tax-free shopping to your business both in London and UK (if national)
- The impact on your business of this decision
- Ask the Chancellor to reconsider the decision
- Ask your local MP to raise it with the Chancellor
If you would like to discuss this campaign in more detail please contact:
Advocacy & Political Engagement: Paul Barnes, Head of Advocacy at New West End Company on 07969111619 or at firstname.lastname@example.org